Oregon Gun Ban

• Bearded Norseman
    Bearded Norseman
    Keymaster
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 1

The gun debate has been a hot topic for some time now, but with the recent mass shootings it is now at the forefront of many people’s thoughts. Many blame the NRA saying that “The blood of the victims is on their hands” as if they pulled the trigger. Some say it is the government’s fault for not requiring background checks. (I don’t know about you, but I have had to do a background check with the purchase of every one of my firearms)

While there are plenty of people who would like to ban guns altogether I think that they realize that it is impossible to do at this moment. Instead they are looking to ban certain firearms that they consider to be “more dangerous”. These they have labeled as “Assault Weapons”. This is a catch-all term made up by anti-gun advocates in an attempt to make the public scared and therefore malleable. They coined this term because it resembles those used by the military to describe certain weaponry. Assault rifles are an actual type of weapon that is clearly defined by the US government. http://www.tulprpc.org/attachments/File/Army_Gives_Definition_Of_Assault_Rifle.pdf

An assault rifle is defined by the US Army as a weapon that is short/compact, takes a detachable magazine, fires an intermediate cartridge (between submachine gun and full rifle cartridge), and is select fire (both semi and full automatic capable). Firearms meeting the first three conditions aren’t hard to come by. But a select fire weapon… those are hard to find. They must be registered and pre-1986, because of this they are rare. Price tags on such weapons are $20,000+. A firearm that is full automatic capable is a class 3 item which means you must submit an application to the ATF for a federal background check (3-12 months on average).

Here is Initiative Petition 43 http://oregonvotes.org/irr/2018/042text.pdf

IP 43 is not just trying to ban Assault Rifles or rifles that are similar to them, it is trying to ban everything from a basic handgun to competition shotguns. It is also attempting to ban all magazines that will hold more than ten rounds. Sure, it says that some people will be eligible to be grandfathered in if they already own these weapons. But they must be re-registered with the state government who will then do another series of criminal background checks. If one does not comply by re-registering within 120 days of this going into effect they will face criminal charges. According to IP43 section 4-b a person who has a valid conceal carry license or would like to open carry cannot do so in most situations. It says you may not carry one of these weapons in a public place and that if you are to do so on private property it is only with the approval of the owner. So in theory even though I have my CCL I cannot carry even for protection while shopping or going out to eat unless I specifically ask the owner of the property the business is on if I may do so.

IP 43 is non-constitutional and clearly violates the Second Amendment.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. According to Merriam-Webster infringe means: to wrongly limit or restrict (something, such as another person’s rights). Plain as day, The Second Amendment says that a citizen’s right to have and carry weapons will not be limited or restricted. It does not specify protection over certain weapons because it is saying that all of them are protected by law. It says that this is necessary so as to provide for a free state. The Founders knew it was important for the populace to be armed both to fight a foreign power as well as to keep their own government from becoming tyrannical. IP43 is an attempt to criminalize law abiding citizens just because they believe in exercising their Second Amendment right. The Oregon government is seeking to undermine the rights of the people in this state and it needs to stop. Please click the links I have provided in this text so that you can see what exactly is being proposed. If you have additional information or would like to discuss whats going on with IP43 by all means lets talk about it.

I always get the shakes before a drop.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.