Beggars Brawling on the Border

• Bearded Norseman
    Bearded Norseman
    Keymaster
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 2

Over 7,500 migrants are now camped in and around a sports complex in Tijuana, Mexico near the U.S. border. On Sunday Nov 24 several hundred of these migrants pushed through Mexican riot police near the border station and attempted to force their way into California via the north and south bound lanes of San Ysidro port of entry in San Diego. The migrants then proceeded to throw rocks and other projectiles at the U.S. border patrol personnel who had closed off the border crossing. Border Patrol agents then shot tear gas into the mob forcing it to retreat. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said “After being prevented from entering the Port of Entry, some of these migrants attempted to breach legacy fence infrastructure along the border and sought to harm CBP personnel by throwing projectiles at them. As I have continually stated, DHS will not tolerate this type of lawlessness and will not hesitate to shut down ports of entry for security and public safety reasons. We will also seek to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone who destroys federal property, endangers our frontline operators, or violates our nation’s sovereignty.”

The incident on Sunday occurred due to frustration on the part of the migrants on how long it would take to process asylum claims. Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner Robert Perez said, “Upon the caravan arrival, by virtue of the folks that are, again, here already lawfully presenting themselves, we estimate that the first arrivals of the caravan will get processed in about five or six weeks of presenting themselves here.” San Ysidro can process about 100 immigration claims a day and due to those already going through the legal immigration process it was going to be over a month until the first cases of the migrants would be looked into. This did not fall into many of the migrants’ preferred timeline on when and how they they might get into the U.S. hence the ensuing conflict.  

President Trump tweeted Monday morning “Mexico should move the flag waving Migrants, many of whom are stone cold criminals, back to their countries. Do it by plane, do it by bus, do it anyway you want, but they are NOT coming into the U.S.A. We will close the Border permanently if need be.” Now, I highly doubt the border will be permanently closed or even closed for an extended period of time due to any lack of help from the Mexican government. But I would expect further closures of a few hrs or even up to a couple days until the current Migrant issue is resolved. Are there criminals within this migrant group waiting at our border? Of course there are. When you have 7,000+ people coming from a country with one of the worlds highest crime rates, you should expect a fair share of hardened criminals to be in the mix. But I would like to imagine that a lot of the migrants are friendly, law abiding people… you know… Except for abandoning their families back home, and the whole illegally entering Mexico through force and violence, demands and protests while traveling through Mexico, and assaulting government agents at the U.S. border while trying to force their way in… Yes, friendly and law abiding. No criminal activity what-so-ever.

Why is all this such a big deal? Why do we care about these migrant caravans coming here? What is another 5,000-10,000 immigrants this year? It is about respecting the sovereignty of the U.S. These people and many that have come before them think it is their right to come here and take advantage of our economy and our welfare programs with or without our permission. They don’t respect us, heck a lot of them don’t even like us, but they are more than willing to come here and leech off of us. I am skeptical, as are the officials currently at the border processing asylum petitions, that many of these people would qualify as refugees. But if there are people actually facing persecution I think we should let them in. But the fact is that being impoverished does not give you grounds for asylum. Though things are looking like they will be getting better here in the U.S. we still have plenty of homelessness and poverty of our own citizens that we need to deal with. Other countries’ poverty issues should not be a U.S. problem. But for some reason whenever there is a “humanitarian crisis” the world looks to the U.S. to come to the rescue and shoulder the burden. And because of the implied guilt that is forced upon our country we usually just give in and become the whipping boy. Frankly, a lot of people are sick and tired of this treatment.

The U.S. is a generous country, it sends more aid worldwide than any other country by a very large margin. In fact foreign aid is sent by the U.S. to all of the countries these migrants are coming from to help them with their economic woes and criminal hardships. If anyone should be put on trial for these migrants’ plight it should their own governments, not the U.S. The failure of the governments of Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala are the reason these people have been a burden on Mexico and a problem waiting on the U.S. doorstep. And that is why this whole thing matters. Because these migrants are a burden and a problem that the rest of the world doesn’t want to touch, they just want the U.S. to take care of it all. Business as usual.

I always get the shakes before a drop.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.